A Magical Puffin Encounter

by Elmer Prather, guest blogger

This is the 46th Cobble Hill puzzle I have had the pleasure of putting together. It is a 500 piece puzzle entitled “Fisherman's Wharf” by Carl Benders. Before I spend the time putting a puzzle together, I have to have a connection with it. In other words, I enjoy putting together puzzles that mean something to me, something to which I can relate.


Fisherman's Wharf 500pc puzzle Cobble Hill
Fisherman's Wharf 500pc by artist Carl Benders

This puzzle of three beautiful puffins just caught my eye. I have had the pleasure of seeing puffins in the wild. Once, on a cruise to Alaska, I saw a group of four puffins floating on a block of ice beside our ship in Glacier Bay. As they were floating along beside the ship, the Captain was repositioning it in order for the passengers to be able to watch the glaciers calve. As the Captain was moving the ship, the crew provided guests with coffee and hot tea. It was a wonderful experience, drinking coffee while sitting on the deck watching the puffins float away. They did not seem to have a care in the world.

In the puzzle picture below, you can see why the puffins are widely regarded as the cutest birds on earth. I have to agree with that description. With their black and white plumage and large orange beaks, I was not able to take my eyes off them. After they drifted off, I was finally able to watch the glaciers calve. Watching the puffins and seeing the glaciers calve was an amazing sight that I will never forget.


Fisherman's Wharf assembled by Elmer Prather


Since my puffin encounter, I have learned a lot about puffins. They mature in about five years and they mate for life. The female lays one egg each year and both the male and female sit on the egg until it hatches. Both parents feed the baby puffin, sometimes having to fly quite a distance to find small fish to bring back.

Unlike most other birds, puffins do not build nests. They burrow into the ground for about three feet with their beaks and feet. Puffins have a long life span. They usually live for over 20 years. Unlike their cousins, the penguins, puffins can fly. They have been clocked flying over 55 miles per hour.

I really enjoyed putting this puzzle together. As I was finishing putting it together, the puffins seemed to come alive and all three of them appeared to be looking for another passing cruise ship to watch.





No comments:
Post a Comment