Hitting the Road

by Elmer Prather, guest blogger from Canton, GA

This is the 32nd Cobble Hill puzzle I have had the pleasure of putting together. It is a 1000 piece puzzle titled Hitting The Road by Mary Lake-Thompson. Out of the 32 puzzles I have put together, I like the 1000 piece puzzles the best. The size and feel of the puzzle pieces fit well in my hand and the 1000 piece puzzles look good when completed. The Die Cutters responsible for cutting these Cobble Hill puzzles are great at what they do. The puzzles consist of so many shapes and sizes they are always a challenge. The 1000 piece puzzles also have a picture of the puzzle in the box. I would have a more challenging time putting these together without the picture.

Close up of the fun(ky) random cut pieces. 
The campers in the puzzle are decorated in such a way that you can tell what season of the year it is. It has the equivalent of nine small puzzles within the larger puzzle. Each of the smaller puzzles display a different camper. The timeline for this gathering of campers is in the early 1950s based on the automobiles and campers displayed.

All nine scenes in Hitting the Road 1000 piece puzzle by Mary Lake-Thompson.
The reason I chose this puzzle is that the different, colorful campers really caught my eye and my interest because I have owned several. My first camper was a Volkswagen Vanagon camper. My second was a Dutchman fifth wheel camper that I towed with my pick up truck. The next camper was a Winnebago Adventurer 32 foot gas motor home and my last camper was a 36 foot Itasca Meridian diesel motor home.


These campers took me all across America and parts of Canada and brought me back home again. I have either camped or driven through parts of 39 of the 48 of our contiguous states and 5 of the 10 Providences in Canada while on camping trips.  Having access to all of these campers has been a blessing. It has given me the opportunity to see some places that I never knew existed and to visit some exciting, historical and interesting places I had always wanted to see.

Traveling in a camper is a unique experience. When you stop at a campground for the night you usually meet fellow campers from different parts of the country. I have made many new friends in this way.  As I traveled in my campers down through the years I noticed that most campers have a dog or cat accompanying their owners. In the puzzle there are no people seen but there are 8 dogs and 4 cats accompanying their owners.
One of the scenes with a cat and a dog in it! We're all looking forward to Summertime!
As I camped over the years I realized that camping is a journey, not a destination. I have really enjoyed the journeys that I have taken, I would not take anything for the memories.

Hitting the Road 1000 piece by Mary Lake-Thompson
Available at your local retailer or favourite online store.
On the USA and Canada Cobble Hill website, search item code: 80276
1 comment:
  1. Enjoyed your memories. The puzzle brought back memories of our camping trips also.

    ReplyDelete