Is That A Bear There?

by guest blogger, Elmer Prather

This is the 56th Cobble Hill puzzle I have had the pleasure of putting together. It is a 500-piece puzzle titled, Den Dreams. For me to spend the time and energy putting puzzles together, I must have a connection with the puzzle. My connection with this puzzle is both the bear and the apples.

Den Dreams 500 piece puzzle by Greg Alexander

I live in Canton, Georgia USA the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Bears are known to come down out of the mountains searching for food. I live in a subdivision in the city limits of Canton. One spring day, several years ago, I was working in my back yard and suddenly, I noticed a movement over my right shoulder. When I turned around, I was face to face with a black bear. He stared at me for a second or two then sprinted out of my yard and back into the woods. I am into photography, so I ran back into my basement and grabbed my camera and headed after the bear. I was not able to locate him, but I will never forget my encounter with him. We probably frightened each other because I was not expecting him, and I do not think he was expecting me.


Den Dreams finished puzzle assembled by Elmer Prather

As far as the apples shown in the puzzle, the next county north of me is Gilmer County which is famous for all its apple orchards. Each year for almost 50 years the Gilmer County Chamber of Commerce has sponsored the North Georgia Apple Festival.  The Apple Festivals are held during two weekends in October. These festivals have over 300 vendors selling handmade items such as jewelry, pottery, toys, soap, candles, baskets and many other items. The festivals have over 35 food concession vendors serving food to the attendees and workers. Fifty thousand people attended this festival last year.

The title of this puzzle, Den Dreams, makes me think that the puzzle artist imagined that the bear featured in the apple orchard was having dreams about gorging itself on apples. Bears add additional fat to their bodies in the fall to see them through their winter hibernation. Apples ripen from August until December and this bear is probably planning on having a few in his preparation for winter.

Elmer Prather
Canton, GA USA

No comments:
Post a Comment