Better Than Alphabet Soup! A Review of Shelley's ABC 2000 Piece Puzzle

by Elmer Prather, guest blogger

This is the 45th Cobble Hill puzzle I have had the pleasure of putting together. It is a 2000 piece puzzle titled Shelley's ABC by Shelley Davies. This is the second Shelley Davies puzzle I have put together. The first was a 1000 piece puzzle titled Timepieces. The reason I chose this puzzle was because I saw it would be a challenge and would be a beautiful puzzle to hang on my puzzle wall. This puzzle is a MEGA 3D puzzle. It is a collage of hundreds of numbers, alphabet letters and miscellaneous objects she included in the puzzle layout. I am also into photography and as such I have made many collages but nothing as complex as this.

This was a complicated puzzle to put together, therefore I had to rethink my approach several times before I was able to complete it. It took a lot of thought to put each of the puzzle pieces in its proper place. With the hundreds of items in the puzzle, there were few opportunities to do much piece grouping. It was simply pick up a piece, look at the reference picture, find the location where it belonged and place it on the spot. I got excited the closer I came to finishing it it because I could see how good it was going to look when finished.


Progress Photo of 2000 pc Shelley's ABC by Elmer Prather


I love to put challenging puzzles together and this one certainly fit the bill. Ms. Davies inserted hundreds of large and small items in the puzzle with random placement except for the alphabet letters she inserted. These letters, being in alphabetical order, helped me find the general location a particular puzzle piece belonged. I could never have put it together without the reference poster that is inserted in all Cobble Hill puzzles.

I was fascinated by the vast assortment of letters and words in the puzzle. There were numerous alphabet letters, some small case, some large case. Some letters were in circles, some were partially hidden by being placed in a larger subject piece.

When I opened the puzzle and started putting it together I felt overwhelmed but like I stated earlier, I love challenging puzzles. I took my time and did not get in a hurry. I just worked on it a little at the time and it finally started to take shape and then it was finished.




It is a beautiful puzzle. The purples, pinks, greens, oranges and all of the other colors come together to make it stand out and will cause anyone who views it to take notice and admire it.

No comments:
Post a Comment