A True "Rocky Mountain High"

 by Elmer Prather, guest blogger

The puzzle pictured below is the 42nd Cobble Hill puzzle I have had the pleasure of putting together. It is a 2000 piece puzzle titled “Rocky Mountain High” by Mark Keathley. This is the third Mark Keathley puzzle I have put together. The other two were titled “Smoky Train” and “Mountain Cascade”.


The reason I chose this one is because I have been to the Rocky Mountains several times and this puzzle reminded me of those great trips. The puzzle depicts part of the snow capped Rocky Mountains, a mother bear and her two cubs, several beautiful Quaking Aspen trees and two small water falls flowing out of the mountain in the background. When I finished putting it together I stepped back to view it and the vivid colors and how they all came together to enhance the overall beauty of the scene truly gave me “A Rocky Mountain High”. The finished puzzle seemed to invite me to step into the scene and smell the fresh mountain air and listen to the rushing water as it flowed through the meadow.


This puzzle reminds me of the mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park which is located approximately 76 miles northwest of Denver International Airport in north-central Colorado, within the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. The eastern and western slopes of the Continental Divide run directly through the center of the park. The main features of the park include mountains, alpine lakes and a wide variety of wildlife within various climates and environments, from wooded forests to mountain tundra. I think that Mark Keathley has captured all of this in his Rocky Mountain High puzzle.


Most tourists who visit Rocky Mountains National Park will make a side trip to Estes Park. Estes Park is the base camp for Rocky Mountain National Park and only 90 minutes from Denver. Nestled at the east entrance to the park and surrounded by protected land, the mountain village of Estes Park offers travelers the best of outdoor recreation, real wildlife, and hometown hospitality. This town has many old buildings that have been restored and are now home to numerous unique retail shops.

No comments:
Post a Comment